Thursday, January 21, 2010

Indulge and Divulge Thursday - 01.21.10

Making Memories Slice
(I have the green one, but this one is much cuter :oP )

My story with the Slice is one of love and hate. Dean got it for me as my Christmas present in 2008, I believe it was one of the first models so I expected it to have its quirks but I didn't expect it to take me a year to have it all figured out and working properly. Nevertheless I was super stoked about my new Slice; it was my second attempt at an electronic cutter (the Cricut and I decided to split a couple years back due to inactivity).

What a better way to explore and *fix* my slice than during an Indulge and Divulge? So for the third and final time Dean and I set to calibrate it with the memory card MM sent us after reporting the problem. Well apparently we were the problem, or I should say *I* Once calibrated (for the third time) it was like magic. I know, I feel like I've wasted a year of Slice fun because I wasn't patient enough to follow the instructions properly *sigh* Oh well, no point on dwelling in the past - Slice fun here I come!

First things first. Now that we have it working lets test it and see what it can cut effectively.

The Slice works really smooth when cutting:
  • Cardstock
  • Thin single sided pattern paper
  • Sturdy double sided pattern paper
  • Textured paper
  • Acetate
  • Vellum
  • Embossed paper
  • Vinyl
  • Photos
I had little difficulties while cutting:
  • Metallic cardstock
  • Thicker double sided paper with little texture
I was not able to cut:
  • Fabric
  • Felt
Overall I can't complain. I'm really pleased with all it can do (might be because I wasn't able to do much for a whole year lol) but still.. check out all the different weights and textures I cut while indulging:


I can't wait to try the embossing tip. I've never been one to emboss, but there's a first time for everything! Also, MM is coming out with drawing tips for the Slice so instead of cutting, it draws the shape you've selected. I wonder if this new release has anything to do with the new Craftwell electronic cutter which does both, cut and draw. Either way, seems to be a great addition to the Slice family :o)

I was able to use the slice for one of my layouts - for the first time EVER! woot!!

Some of you might have seen this layout displayed at ScrappyB a little over a month ago. It was one of those I *had* to make right away or I was going to get a heart attack :oP I just finished it today with some pictures and the beautiful journaling card I cut using the Slice (One of the shapes in the Noteworthy cartridge)

Come back tomorrow! I can hardly wait to show you a new layout I just finished today...
Stay sweet,
Mari

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. That's a cool layout, Mari. I like that you're able to put so much on the layout and still make it work. :) Thanks for coming by my blog.

    ReplyDelete